Tuesday, June 29, 2010

A tryst with monsoon...

"उद्या राजगड ला कार ने जाणार आहेस का?" (Will you be driving down to Rajgad tomorrow?) Aai asked me while I was busy packing things for my trek next day. "नाही, बाईक ने". "आणि पाउस पडला तर?" (What if it rains??) - a concerned mom. "भिजायलाच तर चाललो आहे :)"- I chuckled- we had planned to get wet in the rains.

So much I love roaming on weekends in monsoon, thanking my parents for having raised me in this beautiful city- whose surroundings only get better with every shower. I've always loved Pune for this- whichever way you go- pass 25 kms and you enter what could well qualify a countryside. The magnificent Sahyadris welcome you with open arms, lonely plain roads cutting through the hills, hosting a few tiny villages on the way...fresh air and lush greenery all around, and occasional showers only add to the fun. All you need is a free Saturday / Sunday, a bunch of pals, bikes / car and loads of exuberance. No planned destinations needed, as the drive itself is worthwhile. Not to miss a cup of steaming hot tea and a plate of "pohe" in some makeshift restaurant on the way.

2009 was a rather lean year for my monsoon trails- courtesy- my neck deep pile of work in Zensar Technologies- that had me spend (read- waste) most of my weekends in office. This year is much better for many reasons, and I plan not to waste any weekend and leave behind more monsoon memoirs, while covering up the time wasted last year. I only wish it starts raining again....sooner than later..:)

2 comments:

  1. Kudos to monsoon! Wishing you more such beautiful weekends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Post some pics of the trip too :)

    ReplyDelete